Thursday, May 27, 2010

unconventional wisdom.

This summer started off at an all-time low. The economy is terrible, did you know? And places where youthful faces usually work are already full of aged adults, suffering from a job downgrade in the recession. You know me, I can be a bit tricky at times, and I don't really want to settle with just some fast food job or-- please-not-again retail. Since the cush office job is not in my cards this summer, and since the 40+ applications that I sent out are not offering a hopeful return...

I'm turning my sticky situation into some memories that will really stick. Odd job extraordinaire, here I come, and I'm not afraid to say it. Five little (big) projects for me to tackle this summer, let's see if I'm really up for the challenge!

Project number one. Tackle the labyrinth of volunteer sites. Who needs to travel to another country when there are PLENTY of opportunities right here? I'm checking it out, and putting it to the test. There are so many sites--one would be simpler, and probably all of their goals would be better reached if they all combined--but I'm going to sift out some golden gems this summer and spend some time getting my hands dirty. Economy, you can keep sinking, but it won't mean that I'll be sitting here watching Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel or dreaming that I was in some far-off country on my very own voluntourism vacation...again. This time, I'm really going to live, here, without taking life for granted (and without spending money on a plane ticket!).

Project number two. Get paid for doing these crazy little things called surveys. Are they legit? Can I actually get money from doing these things, and sit here in my pajamas while making cash? Or is it just a hoax?

Project number three. Start to write. Yes, that's right, write. Begin to submit some pieces to various magazines, newspapers and publishers so that maybe, someday, my dreams will come true (and I'll be able to pay for my education). It's totally nebulous for me, getting published. How do I start? This will be a fun little adventure.

Project number four. Invent something? Travel? Change a life or be changed? Live passionately? Create memories? Learn how to be a better friend, sister, & daughter? DO SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY. Embrace Whimsy, as Don Miller puts it, or maybe it's just live with a little extra zest. Doable? Absolutely.

Project number five. I'll pray that I leave this summer better than I came. And leave the world around me better, too.

Oh, the dreams that come alive during the midnight hour...it's a beautiful thing. Good, good, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment